A windy day near Sheffield England
HOMETOWN: Chico, California
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory -- 1990-1994
Rockwell International -- 1987-1989
- Lifetime pass to the National Baseball Hall of Fame for contributions on the Aerodynamics of the Curveball, October 1999.
- Commander's Medal for Public Service from US Army given at West Point, NY, June 1999.
- Engineering Innovator of the Month, Rockwell International, October 1989.
THESIS AND DISSERTATION:
Dissertation: Aerodynamics of the Curve-Ball.
Printable title page for dissertation: Title and Table of Contents
Thesis: Optimal Placement of Measurements for Distributed Systems.
-- SELECTED PAPERS and ABSTRACTS--
- Alaways, L.W. and M. Hubbard, Experimental Determination of Baseball Spin and Lift,
submitted to Journal of Sports Sciences, January 2000.
- Alaways, L.W., S.P. Mish and M. Hubbard, Identification of Release Conditions and Aerodynamic Forces in
Pitched Baseball Trajectories, submitted to Journal of Applied Biomechanics, August 1999.
- Alaways, L.W. and R.B. Lightfoot, Aerodynamics of a Curveball: The Sikorsky Lift Data, Submitted to Sports Engineering, currently in review.
- Hubbard, M. and L.W. Alaways, Rapid and Accurate Estimation of Release Conditions in the
Javelin Throw, Journal of Biomechanics, 22 (6-7), pp. 583 - 595, 1989.
- Hubbard, M. and L.W. Alaways, Optimal Release Conditions for the New Rules Javelin,
International Journal of Sports Biomechanics, 3 (3), pp. 207 - 221, September, 1987.
- Hubbard, M. and L.W. Alaways, Implementation of a Javelin Trajectory Instrumentation System, Proceedings of the XIth International Congress on Biomechanics, July 1 - 4, Amsterdam, 1987.
- Hubbard, M. and L.W. Alaways, Mechanical Interaction of the Golf Ball with Putting Greens, World Scientific Congress on Golf, St. Andrews, Scotland, July 20 - 24, 1998.
- Cloyd, Scott O., Mont Hubbard, and LeRoy W. Alaways, A Control Scheme for an Opposed Recumbent Tandem Human-Powered Vehicle, Journal of Applied Biomechanics, 12 (4), pp. 480 - 492, November, 1996.
- Watkins, W.R., L. Alaways, Depth Perception Applied to Search and Target Acquisition,
Proceedings of the NATO SCI.12 Workshop on Search and Target Acquisition, Utrecht,
The Netherlands, June 1999.
- Alaways, L.W., M. Hubbard, T.C. Conlan, and J.A Miles,
Static and Dynamic Accuracy Determination of a Three Dimensional Motion Analysis System,
Proceedings International Conference on The Engineering of Sport, July 2 - 4, Sheffield,
United Kingdom, 1996.
- Hubbard, M. and L.W. Alaways, Instantaneous Assessment of Athletic Performance Using High
Speed Video, Proceedings of the 31st Conference of Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation
Engineers, August 16 - 21, San Diego, 1987.
Last Changed 05/10/00